WARNING!! Concourse owners Do Not Open

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

WARNING!! Concourse owners Do Not Open

Post by scott66stang »

Since i had the 67 Vert dash and cowl off and the damaged firewall had to come out for replacement and RHD conversion , i decided to chop out the similar size and curvature shape XL falcon firewall out of one of the wrecks and give it a go at fiment. BTW i more than likely wont be using it , but there is a possibility i might with a few mods like the mastercyl cut out from the 67 fitted and maybe the heater bulge.
The lot is just Tek screwed together

The 67 cowl sitting over the XL Falcon Cowl with the same curvature

Mustang master cyl and pedal box bolts up but is about 40mm short of the dash , the falcon pedal box is about 40 mm longer so should bolt up.
Last edited by scott66stang on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: WARNING!! Concourse owners Do Not Open

Post by blkpny »

This just blows my mind, that is so cool, you're a talented man!
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Untill i mod the rh rear engine bay apron i dont know if a booster will fit .
A mustang one anyway. Also used the Mustang tran hump coz the falcon one is smaller.

Last edited by scott66stang on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

How the f*ck did you get to learn this sh1t.....were you cutting up ya mums inards and re -joining them just for fun ....before you were born or what!!

talanted man is an understatement!!
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

HappyOne wrote:How the f*ck did you get to learn this sh1t.....were you cutting up ya mums inards and re -joining them just for fun ....before you were born or what!!

I learnt it yesterday :rotfl:
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

scott66stang wrote:
HappyOne wrote:How the f*ck did you get to learn this sh1t.....were you cutting up ya mums inards and re -joining them just for fun ....before you were born or what!!

I learnt it yesterday :rotfl:
Shit, I wish I was an amateur like you then !! ....... l must be a dumb fu*k fair dinkum!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
TimR67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by TimR67 »

It looks like it is meant to fit there.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

See if you can slip it back a bit further as it will give you more room for the V8. (you can never have enough). Firewall looks real good & is similar to what was used in early conversions.

It would not even hurt to move it back so it is against the Mustang pedal box (that 40mm you talked about) & then form a section around the outer edges to match up with the edges of the Mustang panels that are left.

Once in place (before welding) you could modify the left side to fit whatever heater you will be using.

Nothing like having carcases around for pieces! Good find.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I tried a full NC fairlane and a XY firewall in the Fastback , that didnt work out because it was too wide and a bit of a head f.. to cut and reshape in the middle and sides.
Only problem with moving it back would be exposing the top of the torque boxes on the engine bay side. The depth is almost the same as mustang, however on the Falcon the foot pan slopes down at a sharper drop and is longer , so there is plenty of material to rebend the bottom of the firewall to contact the torque box. But i suppose as you move it back you gain material under the floor anyway. I prefer more foot room than motor room gives more options for aftermarket aircons, im a bit of a sook when it comes to heat. :)
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Nice work Scott. Poor XL :(
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

ChilliChadd wrote:Nice work Scott. Poor XL :(
Thats alright that one was written off , the lh rear quarter and door are pushed in and twisted , i got a pretty much rust free XL wgn shell round the back. :thumbs:
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

You could use the right hand skirt section rear of the tower from the Falcon as well. That should give you booster clearance. I would use that firewall, saves a heap of mucking about. The next car I would like to do up is a 1962 Mercury S22 Comet Vert. One cause i like em & 2 is an XP Falcon front cut will sort the rhd conversion in one fell swoop, dash included. They are pretty much a mirror.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

soc123_au wrote: The next car I would like to do up is a 1962 Mercury S22 Comet Vert. One cause i like em & 2 is an XP Falcon front cut will sort the rhd conversion in one fell swoop, dash included.
I had one of those last year, would have been perfect for you. Gone now. But I now know your fetish, so will yell when I find another.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I loVe the xk-xm dash, xm the best. They spoiled the xp when they flattened the dash, bonnet and bumpers in my opinion. Was considering the dash in the Fastback , but thought that might be going too far :bash:

Looked at the apron when doing the fastback Steve , it is pretty much the same shape as the rh mustang one , but the Falcon ones are around 100mm shorter in distance between the tower and firewall. Thats why most use a remote booster.

Last edited by scott66stang on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

scott66stang wrote: Thats why most use a remote booster.
Good point, Simons one has a Tilton Pedal in it & from memory the old one might have had a VH-40 remote job.

Kerry, dont tell me yet if you find one. I know I will want it & that would be bad until the other thing is finished :mrgreen: