Eleanor Mustang project allegedly seized due to Trademarking

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Eleanor Mustang project allegedly seized due to Trademarking

Post by StephenSLR »

Popular YouTube car builder, Chris Steinbacher of ‘B is for Build’s latest project – a 1967 Eleanor Mustang - has reportedly been seized by the Gone in 60 Seconds production company for violations of trademarkings and copyright.

Eleanor and its Chip Foose-designed likeness - as it appears in the 2000 movie remake - is a copyrighted and trademarked ‘character’, with rights held by the widow of the late H.B. Halicki – the creator of the original 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds film.

Steinbacher states: "because of that, you can’t go build an ‘Eleanor’ without first getting a licence for the Eleanor name and look and image, as she appears in the Gone in 60 Seconds movie".

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/news ... newsletter

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eleanor Mustang project allegedly seized due to Trademarking

Post by ozbilt »

Interesting. However, I doubt if that applies here as they would find it too hard adapting to our laws regarding a "legal name" for a movie car.

That would open the doors to Bullit and Batmobiles, just to name a couple that come to mind.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Eleanor Mustang project allegedly seized due to Trademar

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:That would open the doors to Bullitt and Batmobiles, just to name a couple that come to mind.
The car isn't named Bullitt in the movie and my guess is it's not trademarked as such. Not sure about the Batmobile.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

She must have got the Foose car in the licensing agreement for the second movie and she is notorious for guarding her rights vigorously.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Seems like a whole lot of greedy BS by the movie makers widow and her lawyers to me...

Overall IMHO seizing some poor builder's uncompleted ride, when a simple "cease and desist" letter would probably have worked is just being nasty. Was he marketing a line of cars using the name? NO. Or merchandising using the name? NO. So just the leave the guy alone, hes not even making a true 67 car, its a YouTube frankencar project, nothing more.

But from the story below, it seems shes making her living off the legacy of her late husbands work...

https://gonein60seconds.com/about-us/de ... /slideshow
Last edited by mungus on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

StephenSLR wrote:
ozbilt wrote:That would open the doors to Bullitt and Batmobiles, just to name a couple that come to mind.
The car isn't named Bullitt in the movie and my guess is it's not trademarked as such. Not sure about the Batmobile.

s
Quite correct and there have been dozens of replicas made over the years without a squeek from the McQueen family. I doubt Chad would be such a tosser to do that anyway. His Dad was famous for being a petrol head, who enjoyed the respect of the car building / racing crowd, and was known for his coolness as anything else. And IMHO doing that kind of thing to a little guy, is most definitely not cool. People who build Bullitt tributes are making a homage to his Dad and my guess from watching and listening to Chad, is that he gets a kick out of that.
Last edited by mungus on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mungus wrote:
StephenSLR wrote:

s
Quite correct and there have been dozens of replicas made over the years without a squeek from the McQueen family. I doubt Chad would be such a tosser to do that anyway. His Dad was famous for being a petrol head, who enjoyed the respect of the car building / racing crowd, and was known for his coolness as anything else. And IMHO doing that kind of thing to a little guy, is most definitely not cool. People who build Bullitt tributes are making a homage to his Dad and my guess from watching and listening to Chad, is that he gets a kick out of that.
:like:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet