Best choke cable for conversion on a 68' ?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Best choke cable for conversion on a 68' ?

Post by mungus »

Have decided to ditch the hot air choke on my 390’s 4150 carb. Mostly because a heat stove on my new FPA headers is just plain ugly, and I like simple. Cable choke = Simple.

So just wondering as I know plenty of folk have done similar, what cable is a nice one to use?

I thought about one of the repro 65' HiPo 289 cables by Aluminium products. Looks Ford and available etc. But they are pricey...

Holley also makes one that works OK I'm sure (albeit minor fitting required) and is about 1/3rd the price. But it also screams Holley on the knob.

Anyone run the HiPo cables on a 67/68? Did they reach / fit OK? That's my main concern, if it turns out to be too short it would be a bummer!

Thanks
Last edited by mungus on Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best choke cable for conversion on a 68' ?

Post by ozbilt »

How long do you plan on owning the car?

If for a short time then something generic, if you get the shits looking at something cheap for a long time, then you have answered your own question.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

ozbilt wrote:How long do you plan on owning the car?

If for a short time then something generic, if you get the shits looking at something cheap for a long time, then you have answered your own question.
Thanks Kerry, all true but I suppose what I’m really asking is does the 289 HiPo cable work nicely in a 68; length & dash mounting etc.
Last edited by mungus on Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mungus wrote:
ozbilt wrote:How long do you plan on owning the car?

Thanks Kerry, all true but I suppose what I’m really asking is does the 289 HiPo cable work nicely in a 68; length & dash mounting etc.
Same sized engine bay, same sized firewall and distance from the dash, so yes it will fit.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

We live in Canberra that is choke country (for all sorts of reasons) if ever there was one. I have a Holley that had a manual choke on the 390. Never used it and she started fine. Decided to remove the choke and cable and have never had an issue; motor warms up nicely. Admittedly, I have to use the accelerator pedal to 'perk her up' until she gets some heat through winter but I would only waste that 30 seconds otherwise so all good.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Fair enough, and I had the same thought myself at one point, a couple of squirts with the pedal should prime it enough, but somehow it seems naked without one.

We are probably in a similar climate, in central VIC at around 1300’ ASL, near Mount Macedon, and get snow every once in a while. But then maybe I’d choose the Ute those days anyway...

I suppose the manual choke means less coaxing required while it warms up.
Last edited by mungus on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

put an Electric choke on the Holley works totally fine easy to adjust. Just need one power wire at 12v when ign is on. Think the kits are like $70
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Thanks Shaun, did think of that. Actually the 4150 / 730 service upgrade carb I’m running came with an electric choke, but I got Humes to put it back to hot air during restoration, as at the time it seemed more “factory”. (Weird logic with a performance upgrade carb I know!). But all part of the experimentation of a build I suppose. Guess I can use the restored Hot air unit on my factory 600 carb if I get Humes to restore it for posterity later on. My new Holley cable conversion kit arrived today. Same $. $70 inc postage.

Anyway next thing is where to put the cable inside. Just right of the ignition key in earlier cars from memory?

Suggestions?
Last edited by mungus on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

maybe put it next to the knob the opens the plenum vent.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Yeah that looks OK. Might do that...
Anyway chokes on.

Last edited by mungus on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.