FORD radio interchangeability...

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

FORD radio interchangeability...

Post by mungus »

I'm tracking down a factory AM FM radio for my 68'.
MARTI report / OEM was the Bendix F8TBZ, which as some here probably know, is usually a bit expensive to buy.
They are around (3 on ebay USA today), but just silly money and this is a driver that I want to have nice audio in.

I've been doing my research, downloaded lots of catalogues and listings etc and every year from 1968 to 1971 there were several Bendix radios that have the same "shop face" and look very similar overall. The casings look slight different is all. The correct 1968 buttons can be had new too, so I'm planning on getting something to convert over to modern internals, iPhone connectivity etc. So really I don't need a schmicko restored F8TBZ, just something that looks right (ie a Bendix AM FM from the period 68-71) and fits. The non Mustang models are not surprisingly, way cheaper...

So my question is, who has experience fitting / removing / swapping the factory Bendix radios in 67/68's?
Is the Mustang / Cougar model smaller in some way? Do the other models that look the same out front, have problems fitting due to fatter or longer cases?
Last edited by mungus on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: FORD radio interchangeability...

Post by chopmgw »

Didnt mert have one for sale ?
I smell oranges !

Michael
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Possibly, I hadn't noticed his for sale post until now.
I'll PM him.
Last edited by mungus on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yes Mert has a couple I was there last week end helping him sort out his Cali special and get it to run correctly. I think he had a couple, I've got 68 FM/am and its a Motorola, go figure. I think he has given the forums away though, so you need to ring him. He is looking to sell some stuff I think. I'm just mounting the original in the console and hiding a new one, way cheaper option.
Last edited by Shaunp on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Thanks Shaun, I emailed Mert a few days back and we've been SMSing since. Sounds like he might have one. He'll let me know soon I guess. Poor fella.

I thought about your solution, and if mine was a restored F8TBZ model I would probably do just that, but as it's unlikely to be a finished running radio I'll spend the money on getting a bloke here in Victoria to do his upgrade so I can run an iPhone and have some decent sound quality and power etc. Simpler that way too.