Alternators

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Alternators

Post by steve851 »

Trying to decide if I should keep the original alternator with the external voltage regulator, or upgrade and go for an upgrade and fit an alternator with a inbuilt solid state voltage reg. I would like know a likely source for such an alternator ( what donor car) and a wiring diagram to wire up said alternator

cheers
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Alternators

Post by boofhead »

You can get electronic regulators that look stock and plug in as a factory replacement. If need more punch then lots of options. Have you looked around?
I will someday think of something clever to say.
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Not yet but i really don't know the options which are available But i think it might be wise to up grade the output seeing I now have fog lights and going to upgrade my headlights to H4 bulbs also I'm being mindful of any future electrical loads. such as air cond etc
Last edited by steve851 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Hey mate Bosch BXF-1238A should fit the bill from memory (85 amp) and will work with standard 289/302 bracketry. Last time I went to get one Veale were well priced at the time ~ $250 ish, otherwise check with Odin Autos in Balcatta if you want local as they are a great independent shop.

Wiring is simple a decent gauge feed to the solenoid post and you also need a small load (think 2w instrument globe) as excitation which you can tap off anywhere convenient nearby. Then you can just bin the external voltage reg, tension the belt and get driving again.

Cheers,
Trav
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

85 amp is a good upgrade. If you go higher the v belt can be a slippage issue.
I will someday think of something clever to say.