removing windscreen

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

removing windscreen

Post by mjb0015 »

Hey guys its been a while, back to working on the 65, how hard is it to remove the front and rear windscreens? cant justify paying $300 each to remove by a pro!

Mark
Hanging around... and around
mustang-jerry
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: removing windscreen

Post by mustang-jerry »

Mark,

I have a guy that charges about $240 to remove them and the moulding without any damage.
Send me a text and ill give you his details.

Thanks Jerry
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Easy to remove - the harder bit is the moulding. Once moulding unclipped then the easy way for the screens is to cut the rubber so the glass simply lifts out. Then pull the rubber out (trying not to disturb the head liner to much.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

boofhead wrote:Easy to remove - the harder bit is the moulding. Once moulding unclipped then the easy way for the screens is to cut the rubber so the glass simply lifts out. Then pull the rubber out (trying not to disturb the head liner to much.
Agree with this method. :like:
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

So just cut the rubber that surrounds the outside of the window? I need a new headliner anyway, and will have to get two sets of window rubbers also!

Mark
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

I got mine out by just cutting the rubber away.
I smell oranges !

Michael
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I find that cutting the rubber while the trim is still on helps you to locate the clips holding them. Then cut the glass out.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Once all the mouldings are off you can push a bit of piano wire or the like through at the edge so there is a length protruding outside the car and the rest inside the car. Then have one person grip the wire on the outside another on the inside and slowly work it the entire way around the screen. Kind of like the two guys on the opposite ends of those massive log saws. This cuts all the adhesive away and then the screen comes out easily.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I did it the wrong way and smashed mine. Definately cut the rubber.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

xpconnor wrote:Once all the mouldings are off you can push a bit of piano wire or the like through at the edge so there is a length protruding outside the car and the rest inside the car. Then have one person grip the wire on the outside another on the inside and slowly work it the entire way around the screen. Kind of like the two guys on the opposite ends of those massive log saws. This cuts all the adhesive away and then the screen comes out easily.
Both the screens are in a rubber, front not glued like a 69 or later.

The trick is to remove the mouldings without damage. You need a special tool that relieves the pressure of the moulding clips. You cannot apply any pressure to the moulding as you will bend them out of shape, they should jump off the clip with the correct action of the tool.

Then cut the rubber with a Stanley knife.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

ozbilt wrote:
xpconnor wrote:Once all the mouldings are off you can push a bit of piano wire or the like through at the edge so there is a length protruding outside the car and the rest inside the car. Then have one person grip the wire on the outside another on the inside and slowly work it the entire way around the screen. Kind of like the two guys on the opposite ends of those massive log saws. This cuts all the adhesive away and then the screen comes out easily.
Both the screens are in a rubber, front not glued like a 69 or later.

The trick is to remove the mouldings without damage. You need a special tool that relieves the pressure of the moulding clips. You cannot apply any pressure to the moulding as you will bend them out of shape, they should jump off the clip with the correct action of the tool.

Then cut the rubber with a Stanley knife.
Mine must have been refitted at some stage then as it had black sealer all around it. No back window in mine though as it's a convertible :lol:
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Great advise fellas, yeh bent one of the moldings, Im too rough! Need to get this tool and then I will just cut the rubber.
Can I remove the glass by myself or should I get someone to help?
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

It can be done by yourself but a helper would be safer