66-68 seats

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

66nag
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

66-68 seats

Post by 66nag »

I see from a previous post that '66 upholstery will not fit a '68 seat, is that because the foams are different?
Will '66 seat buns and upholstery fit '68 "low back" frames?
Thanks in advance.
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 66-68 seats

Post by moe »

Seat frames are different. 65-67 upholstery won't just fit onto a 68 front bucket seat.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

If you want pony trim on a locking 68 seat, you will need to get it custom made.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
66nag
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 66nag »

OK, thanks!
You read my mind, though!
What's a good seat upgrade that has a locking type mechanism, but keeps with the old school style?
I was thinking of the '68 seats, but not sure if they can be bolted straight into a '66 with no modifications. And '68 upholstery doesn't have the Pony style two tone trim...(Thus asking if the buns and upholstery from a '66 would fit over a '68 frame.)
I have seen the Procar/Corbeau retro style seats, but they are very pricey, without shipping!
Is there a recommended reasonably priced seat swap that peeps do for safety?
Or can you add a locking mechanism to the existing '66 seats?
(OOPPSS! Just realized this posted in the wrong era's forum. Don't know how that happened... :oops: :oops:
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

What color combo were you thinking of?
66nag
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 66nag »

Black and white (white inserts in black trim if that makes sense?)
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

Have you spoken to a trimmer to see if he's able to blend pony trim onto 68 trim or contact the us companies (distinctive or TMI) to see what is possible?
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

The seats will fit without mods. You could contact TMI direct, they have swapped the inserts in the past, but i have heard they have refused to do it for some people.

You may need to buy pony covers and stock 68 covers and get someone local to put them in.

I considered it in my build, before i went concours. I will be getting comfortweave inserts for my bench, and have them put into standard covers. It'll be a similar deal, get the inserts done locally.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

66nag wrote: (OOPPSS! Just realized this posted in the wrong era's forum. Don't know how that happened... :oops: :oops:
Fixed for ya ..... :lol:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

You can order pony trim (or any combo for that matter) to fit later seats. I do it all the time.

I would recommend 69 Grande or Cougar seats as they are low back with head rests & look the goods in any body shape.

Here are some 69 Cougar seats with 67 Shelby upholstery in the car that is my avatar ....... Image
Kerry

66nag
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 66nag »

Thankyou all for all your replies.
Ozbilt - (thanks for fixing my stuff up! :$ ) - is there anywhere in particular that you order your upholstery from? Your avatar looks fab by the way!
Moe and tim_morrison 82- thankyou for your advice and links. I will inquire forthwith...
Next hurdle will be finding '68/69 Cougar/Grande seats here in Aus... 8O
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Yeah Oz, those seats really look the part. I'd be interested in fitting some if you come across any. My missus isn't a fan of the low back seat with no headrest. You may need to set up a production line at Duggo!
"Hey Steve, I hope we can put this back together" - Ozbilt
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Mert was actually looking into making headrests for 68 seat frames. they were not cheap, but they were cheaper than buying seats with headrests from the US.

Not sure if he decided to give the idea away.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

66nag wrote: Next hurdle will be finding '68/69 Cougar/Grande seats here in Aus... 8O
DD289 wrote:Yeah Oz, those seats really look the part. I'd be interested in fitting some if you come across any. My missus isn't a fan of the low back seat with no headrest. You may need to set up a production line at Duggo!
I will be at the wrecking yard in the next week or so. Hopefully I will be bringing an F100 back, so stuff can go in the tray.

All you have to do. once you know that you have the frames, is contact either of those two manufacturers & they will make the upholstery to suit. They do require some lead time, so it would miss the boat that has the truck & seat frames on it.
Kerry