Distributor gear

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Distributor gear

Post by xpconnor »

Does anyone have any advice on getting a bronze gear for an MSD distributor. I rang the engine builder and he agreed with the choice of a ready to run MSD dizzy and I liked the look of this one which I posted in my build thread.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/m ... /overview/

The engine builder then said to get a bronze gear for it so I sent a question to summit support about which bronze gear will work. They wanted to know what cam and then from that info recommended the one below but with the following reply.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/c ... /overview/

Above would be the bronze gear. Notice that it's listed as Race. When the gear starts to come apart see if your Engine Builder is going to rebuild it for free.

So other then what I would call a smart ass comment from summit has anyone got any info on where to get a bronze gear that is more suitable for street applications.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Distributor gear

Post by hybrid »

Yes a bronze gear will wear out quicker - that's the idea. It wears instead of the cam.

I didn't put one on mine though - I left the gear that came with the MSD. So far so good.

Bronze is soft enough that it shouldn't destroy the engine anyway if it wears, but I would mention summits reply to the engine builder just in case. I'm sure he will laugh it off.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

hybrid wrote:Yes a bronze gear will wear out quicker - that's the idea. It wears instead of the cam.

I didn't put one on mine though - I left the gear that came with the MSD. So far so good.

Bronze is soft enough that it shouldn't destroy the engine anyway if it wears, but I would mention summits reply to the engine builder just in case. I'm sure he will laugh it off.
I am still going to use bronze as that is what the engine builder said to do but this particular gear says not intended for extended street use so would like to use one that is at least designed for purpose. Might be easier to get one locally but I will ring woody again and see if he has one he recommends.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Given you have a warranty period then you need to do what he wants you to use - period. Just expect you will be changing the bronze gear very often, I do mean very so purchase two to begin with as you will need a spare. The ready to run has an Iron gear which is fine with Iron Cam core (SADI) while steel is to be use with a steel billet cam - I have no idea which Cam woody used for your build. One alternate option is to use a composite gear which is fine with all types - again it wears out quickly though not a quickly as a bronze gear will.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I would go composite. Not sue how they last. I recall Holden used nylon ones back in the 70''s they used to last over 100k km
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I have ordered a bronze one with the distributor but I will call woody next week and get a bit more detail from.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

I love this question. Boof is spot on. Use what the engine builder says but buy some spares. They aren't cheap either, atleast you shouldn't wreck your cam.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
booah
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by booah »

I went through this scenario with a Comp roller cam. Their first option is a treated steel gear, I thought it might have been braze or composite, but no.

then I spoke to Michael at ICE ignition where I git the ignition system from and from his experiences, he also said the treated steel gear, wouldn't touch composite with a ten foot pole.

I went with the treated steel but have yet to fire it up.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Spoke to Woody again today and he said 100% to only use a bronze gear. I also went on the crane cams website and there is a link to the below article that says with a billet steel cam use a bronze or composite gear. So I am not going to argue against that.

http://www.enginelabs.com/ignition-elec ... e-details/

Whilst on the topic of distributors, because summit didn't have the correct gear in stock they hadn't shipped my MSD dizzy or coil yet and in the meantime I found this deal on jegs eBay with not only the dizzy and coil but leads and a couple of other pieces.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSD-Ignition ... 5d32ee17c1

Anyway long story short summit said they would beat the price on it even though they don't have the kit. So a big thanks to Shaun again for putting me onto those 2 ebay sites as it has already saved me well over $250 U.S. I think I owe him a couple of these :drink:
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Glad you have it all sorted out. The article said basically what I have said and has some good pictures of typical bronze gear ware. Your playing it safe and that is the way it should be - especially when covered by warrantee.

BTW: What Cam did woody select for you?
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Not sure on exact specs, but i believe it is a crane cam with hydraulic lifters and I know they ended up going a little bigger then originally anticipated. I will try and find out more details when I next speak to Woody.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good idea - he should have supplied a full Cam card with the engine as well as information and part numbers on all parts used, balance spec sheet and any instruction he wants you to follow during the warrantee period.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

It's good fun the old dizzy gear isn't it xp. Glad you have made a decision and extra glad you saved a good whack of cash. Well done. How long till you fire the beast?
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

boofhead wrote:Good idea - he should have supplied a full Cam card with the engine as well as information and part numbers on all parts used, balance spec sheet and any instruction he wants you to follow during the warrantee period.
Yeah I had hoped one would turn up with the engine but it didn't. In the invoice nearly everything else is listed with the brand and some details but the cam just says 1 x hydraulic roller cam. Maybe he is keeping his street combo a bit of a secret. He has been helpful though as when I rang about the gear for the Dizzy he said that once it all arrives to call him back and he will walk me through which springs to put in etc to the set the curve up on it. I am sure he would send out a cam card if I asked for it directly.