Power Steering Valves in OZ?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Power Steering Valves in OZ?

Post by mungus »

Can anyone recommend a PS valve supplier or rebuilder?

I got mine apart today, and have blasted, cleaned, oiled and bagged it, but everything inside was toast (not easy to get apart either, just a solid lump of rust & gunk inside there!). Its the one in the photo (post first basic blast, pre disassemble). At least its date correct and OEM. (about the only good thing going for it!).

I'd rather have the OEM Bendix type not the repops I've seen on the web, and also prefer not to send mine stateside for a rebuild due to the postage of the core. (But if need be I will).

So who do we know that carries the FORD Bendix P/S valves from 68' in OZ, or who rebuilds them properly. (mine would need a complete recon, and the parts kits I've seen don't have all the bits I need, so I need to outsource this to someone who does).

I've seen a few from web searches, even here in VIC. One even mentioning he does Mustangs. But whos any good? I have no idea... :-)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mungus on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Power Steering Valves in OZ?

Post by Shaunp »

TBS-BHSS Smith st Capalaba Brisbane do them or at least did. they are the same as a Falcon I think. John green used to have a few left over from RHD coversions.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Shaunp wrote:TBS-BHSS Smith st Capalaba Brisbane do them or at least did. they are the same as a Falcon I think. John green used to have a few left over from RHD coversions.
Thanks Shaun I'll give them a call and see what they say.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Any others? VIC maybe?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

They are easy to rebuild as long as the core is OK.
I did mine myself... less than an hour.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Call Pete at East coast mustang and see if he can recommend anyone. If not they should have a rebuild kit.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

As Hybrid says, they're pretty easy to rebuild. If you get stuck, I have a few cores here and can build you one.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Thanks for the kind offer nuts, yup I can see they would be easy enough to rebuild, they're pretty basic units, the problem is the kits don't contain enough parts to finish mine. Hence I wanted a shop who mighy have enough spare bits from others to make mine while again.

From the customers comments on a few parts shops listings in the US, it's a common problem. You can buy a new spool and a rebuild kit with the rubbers, washers and the pivot etc, but not the shaft / bolt and a few other pieces. Otherwise I would have bought the kit and spool and done it myself. Basically everything internal on mine is toast. Rusted up to the point of being dissolved, and if not ferrous, completely decayed. If it wasn't for the PN and date being correct I'd chuck it...
Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I should have enough spare bits and new parts to build one up for you. What date code are you after, I might have one.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Car is mid March 68', so anything from say Nov 67' to early March 68' would be OK.
But no bother if you don't have one. To be honest I don't even care if its finished, just complete enough and in decent enough shape to be rebuildable. PM me if you like.

I'm actually just doing this for posterity and to have a "complete" car, as I've bought a Borgeson kit which will be fitted in due course. I'll be refinishing and storing the slave and valve and boxing them away afterwards. I've done that with a few components already; Manifolds etc.
Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I was able to get the pivot bolt thingy in a kit. Maybe the older cars are different, but I doubt it.