Dems the brakes

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Dems the brakes

Post by hybrid »

I think Scott from WA put falcon disks onto one of his projects. Should be info in his project page on this website.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

smh00n wrote:OK.

Plan of attack # 2.

How easy is it to put Falcon rear discs on to it? Is an 8" and will prolly stay that way and using 15 x 7 wheels. And will that restore braking back to what you would expect from a Falcon around an XF vintage (i.e. pretty good)?

I am struggling to understand why my Falcon brakes (XB-ish on the front) and I presume very similar drums on the back are locking. Is the Stang lighter than the Falcon in the back?
Do you have a proportioning valve? If it is just a block you need to get the rear cylinders down to 5/8" size or the rear will lock. Otherwise, it is best to use an adjustable proportioning valve so you set it where it is best for the car.

BTW: Yes the mustang is lighter.

PS: I installed a set of SSBC rear disks which were resold as a Summit racing brand (saving me money). Worked out well for me.

Do not forget people have made a few offers so you have all the options in front of you. Just need to choose which way you want to go.
Last edited by boofhead on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

No valve but new everything except for the shoes & drums.
Am going to check the state of them, and also to make sure the master has been plumbed proper. I never checked the original plumbing, just put them back how they came off. Although I don't think we had lock up issues prior to the master and booster replacement.
This car has a few issues the more I look (tek screws holding the fuel tank in, rear shocks upside down) so maybe there are some more nasties I missed which I need to get a brighter torch to look for under there.

Yes, plenty of options and I will be researching what is the best way to go.

This essentially has Falcon brakes and Falcons don't lock their rears easy so I need to understand why.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

smh00n wrote:No valve but new everything except for the shoes & drums.
Am going to check the state of them, and also to make sure the master has been plumbed proper. I never checked the original plumbing, just put them back how they came off. Although I don't think we had lock up issues prior to the master and booster replacement.
This car has a few issues the more I look (tek screws holding the fuel tank in, rear shocks upside down) so maybe there are some more nasties I missed which I need to get a brighter torch to look for under there.

Yes, plenty of options and I will be researching what is the best way to go.

This essentially has Falcon brakes and Falcons don't lock their rears easy so I need to understand why.
Probably just the weight difference of the car. If the old falcon utes were running different brake cylinder sizes to the sedans it would suggest the weight difference over the back wheels of the two affected the brakes.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

When looking at the master, the front brakes should be plumbed off the rear bowl (closest to the booster).
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Thanks Oz. Have double checked and they have plumbed them right. This weekend might get time to look over the shoes and make sure they are proper as well.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Also make sure the springs are in the correct location and also one brake shoe is longer than the other.

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

unilec5544 wrote:Also make sure the springs are in the correct location and also one brake shoe is longer than the other.
Thank you, thank you, thank you (best Elvis voice)

A picture is worth a billion words.
Quick glance and memory I think it looks like that but will be good to have to compare
67fastysm
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 67fastysm »

do you have one of these fitted if not more than likely will solve your problem

http://www.cjponyparts.com/master-power ... 73/p/BCV5/
i have disc / drum power boosted on my 67 with that fitted, works perfect , plus it has the switch in it which if you lose pressure closes and turns on the warning light in your dash
cheers shane
Last edited by 67fastysm on Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

No, I did look at a OEM proportioning valve but was told I didn't need one. Now seems very likely I will need one, regardless of drum or discs on the rear.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Rear brakes need the leading shoe shorter than the trailing as depicted in the above picture of the left rear brake.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

smh00n wrote:No, I did look at a OEM proportioning valve but was told I didn't need one. Now seems very likely I will need one, regardless of drum or discs on the rear.
If you are going to fit a proportioning valve, fit the adjustable one. I put them in the rear line near the master. They are legal as long as they cannot be accessed (adjusted) while driving.
Kerry

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:Rear brakes need the leading shoe shorter than the trailing as depicted in the above picture of the left rear brake.
+1
I was just about to head down that path. But your too quick.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

nassi wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Rear brakes need the leading shoe shorter than the trailing as depicted in the above picture of the left rear brake.
+1
I was just about to head down that path. But your too quick.
Too quick? You had an hour & 20 minutes to get in before me. Must be an age thing ........ :poke:
Kerry

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Well that'd have to be the first time that being realllllllly old's worked in your favour oz..... :angel:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm