Late Windsors- which is best for transplant?

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Late Windsors- which is best for transplant?

Post by Shaunp »

It's not a drama to machine 040 off the top of piston that's 1mm Stick them in a lathe take a cut off them. A mate of mine has an engineering shop at Hemmant, KMP engineering I reckon one of the guys there, Tony would do it no issue. Tony also make nice stainless turbo pipes etc, he is more of a Skyline type guy, but a good fitter & turner.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I agree it is a no drama job. I use to have a good lath and mill in my garage so in the past I would have done it myself. It is a nothing job.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Actually we are thinking of getting a small Lathe Boof.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good idea. I miss my lath.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

Yeah the true 351C piston was what I was looking at. ACL do a 351C piston with a 1.65 comp height and the crown is 9mm thick. I was looking to use 302 rods.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I beam Scat rods are not that expensive.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

shaun071 wrote:Yeah the true 351C piston was what I was looking at. ACL do a 351C piston with a 1.65 comp height and the crown is 9mm thick. I was looking to use 302 rods.
Excellent - so you might get away with 20 thou. I would mock it up first to get the final sizing. In any case, plenty of meat to make it work. If you do use the stock rods change the bolts to be good quality ARPs (so you will need to resize them at the same time). Also, make sure you are using after market valves in those heads - the 302/351C valves were known for falling apart if pushed.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

boofhead wrote:Good idea. I miss my lath.
You could always borrow mine mate..

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I would be over in a flash when needed if I lived in WA Nassi. I do appreciate the offer. I guess I should get one again. You have an ideal hobby lath there - very useful.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

nassi wrote:

Fortunately for me is that a tool & die maker (retired) lives 7 properties down from me. Wanted some Al cast tube turned yesterday for Scarlet & it was completed in about 10 minutes. However Harry (the Staffie) & I spent about 2 hours there talking pre WWII bikes while looking over his collection. He has been on Classic Restos before ..... :like:

But I too want a lathe & mill. One day when I have a bigger shop ...... :coat:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

nassi wrote:

Wow that's small, is that what they call a watch makers lathe? You couldn't swing a flywheel in the one.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

She is a baby though most items I am sure it would be fine. My past lathe was far larger though today a small one like Nassi's would be the go.
I am also thinking a 3D printer should be on Santa's list. Time to get with the 21st century.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shaunp wrote:
nassi wrote:

Wow that's small, is that what they call a watch makers lathe? You couldn't swing a flywheel in the one.
No its a bit bigger than a watchmakers lathe and they generally have a tool post like a wood lathe. The cutting steel would be a graver and used just like a wood turning chisell because when your turning pivots 10 thou or less you need all the feel you can get.
This machine is also a very basic mill if I set the mast and fit the table, once again only for tiny bits and pieces.

As for the flywheel, just depends on your motor Shaun. :lol: But yeah, I wont attempt a windsor or cleavo flywheel.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

An old mate of mine Don Parker, had a big enough lathe that we used to make tail shafts in it. He made all this own pistons for his E type Jag, with off set crowns for 12:1 compression, only the centre 2 pistons on the 4.2 were the same in order to line up with Hemi jag head, Jag Siamesed the bores to make the block stronger on 4.2s but left the head spacing the same as a 3.8 . also made his bike pistons, last bike he did was a Square 4 Aerial with a Dusting side car. He was 85 at the time. Don and his brother ran an XK140 C FHC in one of the Redex trails they get a mention on one of the DVD's I have. The bike had so much compression we couldn't kick start it. We ended up push starting it, Don dropped the clutch popped it up on the back wheel and monoed it up the street at 85 years old, no side car at this point of course. He held a speed record on South-Port spit on a Brough-Superior in the old days. Great guy, when I saw the Worlds fastest Indian movie, I thought this Burt Munro must be Don's long lost brother even looked similar.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

Shaunp- Good point, I was thinking of using the scat rods as by the time you fit good rod bolts resizing etc to stock rods its probably going to be around the same price.

Boof- i was definitely going to mock it all up before touching anything. My thinking was take the short block to a machine shop and get the block trued up then get the pistons cut to suit the deck. If I'm lucky the block I get might be one thats a little tall due to production tolerances. I'm pretty sure I saw a 1.635 comp height 351C piston somewhere as well. The heads had new aftermarket valves fitted I can't be sure of the brand though.

Another question- Will I get away with using 351C shorty headers? I'd prefer shorty's for ground clearance and gearbox clearance around the AOD.

Thanks to everyone for the info/advice