Prices of Toploaders - Reasonable or not?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Muzzieat9
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: Prices of Toploaders - Reasonable or not?

Post by Muzzieat9 »

Heard from one of the GT forum guy's that the cheap toploader's are Procomp product. Not sure if this is the same one you're referencing.
We work to pay for our toy's.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Muzzieat9 wrote:Heard from one of the GT forum guy's that the cheap toploader's are Procomp product. Not sure if this is the same one you're referencing.
Price matches their product line.
Cheers

Craig
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Ahhhh... avoid like the plague!
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Damn missed a toploader with a hurst mustang shifter for $1200 at Kelvin Grove...listed last night, looked this afternoon and gone! Bugger
Cheers

Craig
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

So I had two friends that had toploaders, one was a Cortina 250 toploader (Rare factory option).

If you like stirring a box of rocks than I guess they are the gearbox for you :-)

Also you need to keep the linkages in tip top shape our else you can get locked out of all gears or stuck in one or even what happend to my dad in a cop car, get a forward gear and reverse at the same time!!
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

lukep6470 wrote:So I had two friends that had toploaders, one was a Cortina 250 toploader (Rare factory option).

If you like stirring a box of rocks than I guess they are the gearbox for you :-)

Also you need to keep the linkages in tip top shape our else you can get locked out of all gears or stuck in one or even what happend to my dad in a cop car, get a forward gear and reverse at the same time!!
Cricket he must be old to have been driving a top loader equipped cop car. And he was in traffic as well cause no one else had v8’s ?

Can’t even remember qld having any manual traffic cars but we were country - dad brought home an unmarked Xb traffic car in bundy once but it was an auto.
Cheers

Craig
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Toploaders have really gone up in price in the last 6-12 months. wasn't long ago you could buy one for less than 1k say $600. They normally need a 2nd gear if they have been flat changed cold with 90 oil in them. My 67 has a fresh TL, I think I'll stick a Gear vendors behind it ultimately given Im running a 3.55 rear.

I think Toploaders are getting collectible now hence the steep price rise, I plan to buy any cheap ones i see, think they are good property
Last edited by Shaunp on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Damn need to find someone out of touch with pricing then. They survived as a design for a long time.....they change well under high revs, they are pretty much bullet proof just no OD.

Gear vendors takes the cost up into the realms of a T56magnum or TKO conversion unless you got one at the right price like you have sadly.
Cheers

Craig
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Chux wrote:Damn need to find someone out of touch with pricing then. They survived as a design for a long time.....they change well under high revs, they are pretty much bullet proof just no OD.

Gear vendors takes the cost up into the realms of a T56magnum or TKO conversion unless you got one at the right price like you have sadly.
Yeah but still have toploader and you get 8 gears really
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Note I had to use an adapter plate to mount the shifter as this Box is from a Falcon, so same as a Torino, shifter mount is a different location to mustang but being a Falcon box it has an Australian bell housing with Hydraulic clutch slave mount, which I needed for RHD.
Last edited by Shaunp on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Can you buy the adapter plate or can you make them up?

Is that 1/2” fuel line I see running or a trick of the eye? Seems larger than stock 3/8th?

Just wondering if the complaints about toploader shift quality in Aus related as much to the shifter design employed in our local cars compared to the Hurst Comp shifter found on Mustangs?
Cheers

Craig
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Nothing wrong with the shifters and linkages offered locally imo, more to do with condition and adjustment than anything else.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Chux wrote:Can you buy the adapter plate or can you make them up?

Is that 1/2” fuel line I see running or a trick of the eye? Seems larger than stock 3/8th?

Just wondering if the complaints about toploader shift quality in Aus related as much to the shifter design employed in our local cars compared to the Hurst Comp shifter found on Mustangs?
You can buy it or easy to make. The hurst comp plus seem very direct but I haven't driven it yet, also using a GL 4 gear oil will make them shift better, Line is 3/8 standard is 5/16
Last edited by Shaunp on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.