67 Mustang cooling

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 67 Mustang cooling

Post by hybrid »

Yeah I have my temp gauge connected at the rear of the engine and it often disagrees with the Megasquirt (gauge reads hotter) after a long drive.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Yep - water still has to travel from the rear up from the block through the heads to the front. A lot more temperature builds up from the combustion in the cylinder heads.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Definitely invest in an accurate temp gauge that can tell you exactly where you are as opposed to the old C-H. They do become addictive though. Sounds like you have the right gear and I agree with the 180 thermostat. Start with that and see how you go.

In saying that though if you have the cash and want to make sure no matter what then by all means go the 24" and be done with it. I doubt you will be having this conversation again if you do.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
lifeis4living
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by lifeis4living »

Fans are controlled via a variable thermostat with the probe placed through radiator fins. Probe is in a dielectric paste to make a thermal connection between fins and probe. Decent temp gauge will help set fan at desired temperature.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Even a good temp gun would be worthwhile if you don't want to add an aftermarket gauge. Before this build, I set my on/off temps and noted my running temps with a temp gun.
lifeis4living
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by lifeis4living »

Yep husky I can get a loan of a temp gun. Worth having a play with and set fans after I put the 180 thermostat in.