Dems the brakes

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dems the brakes

Post by ozbilt »

Just thought of something, are your front calipers on the right way?

The bleeder should be horizontal, not vertical. If they are on the wrong sides, you cannot get all the air out.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I have an adjustable proportioning valve fitted and for rego I had to fit a cover over it so it can't be adjusted by the driver. No biggy,
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

I have to check that. Car is stashed in a back corner at present so getting to it is hard. In the next couple of weeks the house reno's will be finished and I will be a free man.
Just trying to get this thing to a registerable condition then I can go fully sick and build it like I want it.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Thanks Nuts. I halfway suspected that. Might just try lockwire and see if that keeps him happy.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

ozbilt wrote:PBR master does not need a proportioning valve.

Your symptoms tell me it is in the calipers, not up top ....

You stated in the OP ...... "When I go to brake there is nothing, nothing, nothing then WHAMMO the brakes are on and my forehead is on the screen. Once you are used to it it brakes OK but it all happens pretty quickly once you have gingerly squeezed the pedal some."
Yep good call. 69/70Standard brakes are normally very good so I'd rebuild the calipers first.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

I will sneak into the shed now
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

The front brakes are a Girlock brand and look to be pretty old. Great big cast body and not a slider at all. Any one ID what these are and do I keep them?? I have not pulled one off, will do so if they are worth keeping.

The rear brakes look to be OK and maybe original. 10" diameter drum and 2" wide shoe.

So, now the question is what are these brakes and are they any good? I'm thinking if they need to go I might do the XF(?) conversion. And will whatever I do be compatible with the original brake stuff like master cylinders and proportioning valves?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, just need a baseline to start from as never played with these things before.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

They look like XA/B/C falcon brakes.
Check this gumtree ad out:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seacliff ... 1095704467

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Yep, that looks like the ugly MoFo's. Now I will probably go to XF calipers; I think they will bolt straight on yes? Perhaps the current ones are NFG and are sticking, which is what Ozbilt has alluded to.

Been searching and found the thread http://mustangtech.com.au/Forums/viewto ... rakes.html which is pretty good.
So now I have a bigger project and need some answers.

I have bought a Borgeson power steer box for this thing. Is that going to affect the steering now I know I have Falcon stubs? I bought a manual steer drag link as that is what Borgeson recommended (1970 302 factory power steer car).
I see now that the idler is NFG, so can I use a Falcon one? I also need new inner and outer tie rod ends so are they Falcon or Mustang? Also top and bottom arms; just X series Falcon?

What are the dimensions of the Falcon stub axles? I like the idea of the longer ones for camber but what is the height of these?

Priority #1 is get the brakes to work normally, register it then strip the bitch and rebuild it so I don't have to engineer anything. So my blue slip guy tells me :headbang:
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The XF calipers will bolt straight up. I always put a kit through them but that is up to you.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

Hi guys, new here and just reading through this post and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth.
Inside the booster is what's called a reaction disc and it is there to "soften" the feel of the brakes. This disc can fall out if not careful when removing or fitting the booster or master cylinder. Symptoms of missing disc is as you have described.
If the booster has been overhauled in the past, some people put a harder disc in to give a more responsive feel.
The harder disc was fitted to mine and I had to have it replaced as brakes were to aggressive.

On the subject of the XF Calipers when I did mine it was cheaper to buy new calipers from the brake centre. Don't know if they still make them but 10-12 years ago $80 each came with new cast iron bracket to bolt to the stub and new pads fitted just bolt straight up.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Nice feedback ants. :thumbs:
and welcome.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

Hope it helps.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good post and welcome Ants.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

I've still got an XF brake set up gathering dust in the shed and will separate parts if you want. I'm up near Toowoomba so freight may be a killer though.
http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... =5838.html