FE Stroker

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: FE Stroker

Post by soc123_au »

69candy wrote:I have been talking to Barry. I actually have a block on the way to him as we speak. He is checking it out for me, and if its all good he will machine it up and install the stroker kit. Just trying to decide wether to fit his heads or put my cj heads on it??
What block are you starting with, and which stroker kit are you going for?

The FElony heads seem a good option. Well priced for what you get. I ended up with Survivals CnCed stage 10 Edelbrocks. The FElony castings were still a few months away at that stage. If I had it to do again from scratch I would have gone for Blue Thunder. The only reason i didnt was I would have had to change the roller rockers & even worse remake the extractors.

In saying all that if I was to start from scratch I probably would have bitten the bullet & gone SOHC. Cost wise in the scheme of things wouldnt have been that much higher. What an engine...
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Pinto-Pete wrote:Thank the lord for the big block ford......Amen.
Might need to get that as a sticker.

BTW, nice update on the avatar Pete!
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

soc123_au wrote:
In saying all that if I was to start from scratch I probably would have bitten the bullet & gone SOHC. Cost wise in the scheme of things wouldnt have been that much higher. What an engine...
Are you talking about the famous cammer which was banned from NASCAR cause Chrysler had a big cry as it would have eaten their HEMI's, or so the legend goes. Didn't that engine have the longest timing belt in the history of the world.

Keith Craft are building all aluminium cammers Steve, surely you didn't spend that much on your FE. Would the cammer even fit in a mustang?
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

cam chains are about 7 feet long end to end supposedly cage....

:like: jacko..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:There is no substitute for cubic inches nor replacement for displacement.... :like:
Thank the lord for the big block ford......Amen.
Thats lovely to hear from the toyote coyote. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

One & the same Cage. Mine doesn't owe me that much, but I did say in the scheme of things. You could make it fit.
69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

soc123_au wrote:
69candy wrote:I have been talking to Barry. I actually have a block on the way to him as we speak. He is checking it out for me, and if its all good he will machine it up and install the stroker kit. Just trying to decide wether to fit his heads or put my cj heads on it??
What block are you starting with, and which stroker kit are you going for?

The FElony heads seem a good option. Well priced for what you get. I ended up with Survivals CnCed stage 10 Edelbrocks. The FElony castings were still a few months away at that stage. If I had it to do again from scratch I would have gone for Blue Thunder. The only reason i didnt was I would have had to change the roller rockers & even worse remake the extractors.

428 CJ block on standard bore C scratch
looking at the 4.25 stroke 462, as that bis what barry said would be best for me nand what I want. Aiming for around 500hp, 500t. survival heads stock, and blue thunder intake as it puts the shaker in the right spot.
Edelbrock heads are a lot cheaper though. Want to stay with stock ex manifolds for rego over here, but would put a set of hooker super comps on it I can find a s/h set. Will prob make about 40hp less without them. Street cruising motor with bit when u want!
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

69candy wrote:, but would put a set of hooker super comps on it I can find a s/h set.!
Don't do it, 69. Mine were a disgrace for fitment. There was no way I would recommend them to any Mustang owner. A bigger car, for sure, but not an FE Mustang.

I ordered a set of FPA's this week after lots of indecision about which way to go. I asked on the FE forum and they were what was recommended as they were best fit. Supposedly they can be fitted before fitting the engine. There is no way in hell that would happen with the Hookers.

Here's a cut and paste of the reply I got from Stan at FPA on prices as well as a sample pic he emailed. I went with that colour as well. I didn't use Kiwi shipping though. My local guy is bringing them over for me for $220.

OK, we offer this header for $650 bare ( no coatings) or $875 in one of two ceramic coatings "Polished cerma chrome ceramic or Restoration Dark Gray Ice ceramic " . Factory LH drive Mustangs with Power Steering , also require the $35 P?S bracket. All other hardware and premium metal core gaskets included. We do NOT direct export but will gladly ship to a broker or contact of yours in Ca. for $65. Kiwi Shipping has been used many times by our Australian customers. We are in a 10 day rotation from the time you order. Photo shows Resto Dark Gray ceramic.

Stan/ FPS Ford Headers

253 848-9503 9-5 Mon-Friday PACIFIC time

"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Snice n tight max and try y's good for the street and look good, just what I'm looking for, dont think anyone makes them for a 385 in a 69 though....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

They are listing a shorty, Pete. But they look a bit longer than the typical shorty

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/Mustang1.htm
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Yeah, but faster!"
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

MaxPower wrote:They are listing a shorty, Pete. But they look a bit longer than the typical shorty

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/Mustang1.htm
Not a big fan of shortys Ash, wonder what they cost dont think they cheap...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Shoot Stan an email. He's quick to reply. But I'd say the price would be similar to what I was quoted.

"Yeah, but faster!"
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Don't be so down on the hooker super comps, used them on the grey car and I have a set on the red car but it is a SB. Must say on both of these they do hang down a bit but otherwise it is fine. Get Justang to give you a double jointed hand to fit them though. These guys did it with them on the motor when we jiggled her in. I actually like them for their mid range torque and they sound good, especially dumped out a just behind the collectors ;-)

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Holey crap Jacko!! You trusted the Medic and Justang to put the FE in??? It's a wonder the Medic didn't get stuck!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Ausjacko, does your car have the big block bracing around the shock towers? That's where mine were most difficult and the braces were hacked to give some clearance. Even though that clearance was down to 1.5mm in one spot with the engine seated in position.

With the Hookers, to remove my left header, I had to remove the gearbox, lift and rotate the engine and finally remove the head to get the last few bolts. There was no way I was going through that twice.

"Yeah, but faster!"