US wrecking yard, cruise night, racing tour 2012

Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: US wrecking yard, cruise night, racing tour 2012

Post by ponyride »

Faststangfan wrote:Hello, Newbie to this site. Kiwi living in Oz playing with Mustangs.
This tour sounds like just the sort of thing I could talk the "Handbrake" around to thinking that this would be a "Must do". :thumbs:
Welcome to the forum Faststangfan. :thumbs:
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

ponyride wrote:
Faststangfan wrote:Hello, Newbie to this site. Kiwi living in Oz playing with Mustangs.
This tour sounds like just the sort of thing I could talk the "Handbrake" around to thinking that this would be a "Must do". :thumbs:
Welcome to the forum Faststangfan. :thumbs:
+ all the rest of us... :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

Sounds good to me. Just asked the dept of war and finace, and she didn't say no!!! yet anyhow, We talked about going over and this sounds like the way to go to me. So definatly interested. she would like to do all the touristy stuff as well, you know, Grand canyon, Disnyland, bollywood
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

69candy wrote:Sounds good to me. Just asked the dept of war and finance, and she didn't say no!!! yet anyhow, We talked about going over and this sounds like the way to go to me. So defiantly interested. she would like to do all the touristy stuff as well, you know, Grand canyon, Disneyland, bollywood
Grand Canyon is part of Route 66, so that is easy. Disneyland is always a pleasure & I would include that in a heartbeat. When I lived over there I had a premium yearly pass & went at least 6 - 8 times a year. Mrsozbilt, my daughter Adamanda, Mr & Mrs BossKraft, Kevin & Shelli Marti were down in D'Land only about 4 weeks ago. Never need a excuse to go there.

Hollywood is also easy, no problem to take you through that slum (actually very close to the end of 66 at Santa Monica.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

For all those that are thinking of going on this adventure & have never seen the Grand Canyon, check this out.

No, we will not be doing it the same way, but a helicopter ride over the canyon is possible for those that want the best view. For those less enthusiastic, we just drive the south rim road.

Double click on this to watch in YouTube, then go to full screen & turn the sound up. Great music & spectacular scenery.....

[youtube]WgdIE2t8QkM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Kerry

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Bald guys have all the fun! I wonder if he owns a Mustang?
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
jonn
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jonn »

Hi Kerry,

Re the proposed US trip for 2012, do you anticipate the trip would be wife friendly or is this leaning towards being a boys trip?

I'm very interested x 2 if the trip will be wife friendly.

The only other aspect I'm interested in knowing at this point, is will the driving component of each day be long and hard or will it be at a slower pace?

regards
Jon
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

jonn wrote:Hi Kerry,

Re the proposed US trip for 2012, do you anticipate the trip would be wife friendly or is this leaning towards being a boys trip?

I'm very interested x 2 if the trip will be wife friendly.

The only other aspect I'm interested in knowing at this point, is will the driving component of each day be long and hard or will it be at a slower pace?

regards
Jon
Definitely "wife friendly" & even "kid friendly". Lots of educational stuff to do that is so much fun. My kids back in the 90's still talk about how much they learned & both of them (& their families) along with Carol & I now travel the world often. Yes OS travelling is contagious :poke:

I have completed trips over here, Mustangs Across America, 94, 95, 96 & Sean "BossKraft" & family in 09 & they are not fun when you are driving 500 miles each & every day in an old car (Mrsozbilt's Mach1).... Argh

Even a new car is still tiring day after day.

The plan is to cover say around 200 miles per day (3 - 4 hours driving) on average with a couple of days in the high desert country consuming around 6 - 7 hours of driving as there is no where to stop. Those long days would probably be 2 or 3 at most & not after one another.

Also keep in mind that US roads are very "driver friendly" & you can cover big distances in a short time. I would imagine our pace will be slower as that conserves gas & you get to enjoy the sights more.

On Route 66 for instance, we stop at little towns along the way, crawl through junk shops & visit all the 60's "touristy" venues (like old drive ins). Most of the day will be spent together checking out the sights, or of an evening, relaxing by the pool or at a restaurant.

Carol (Mrsozbilt) will be heading the ladies (when we do wrecking yards, for example) so knows what is about & more importantly, where to shop for bargains.... :thumbs:

I will be doing a lot more of planning of this trip after I get back from the China "Canton Fair Trip" as that has been consuming a little of my time.... 8O

I will have more of an idea of costs as it gets closer, but should be able to give decent estimates in November/December 2011. That will allow all to make plans & save if necessary.
Kerry

mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

This trip sounds great. As we have already been this year I am trying to now talk my wife into a 2014 Route 66 Mustang trip east to west.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

HI Kerry
H and I were considering a trip to the US in 2012 in any case. Would be interested in tagging along.

BTW, I like the 'H stands for Handbrake'
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Frank70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Frank70 »

I might be interested Kerry. Would be by myself or I would love to bring my son. Not sure about taking him out of school though unless it overlaps with school holidays.

Do you have firmer dates, or would it just be last 2weeks of aug and first 2 weeks of sept ?

Cheers,
Frank.
1970 Mustang Fastback 302 Toploader
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan 289 C4
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 350 Father/Son project
1995 BMW M3
2002 Ford Falcon XR6
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Frank70 wrote:I might be interested Kerry. Would be by myself or I would love to bring my son. Not sure about taking him out of school though unless it overlaps with school holidays.

Do you have firmer dates, or would it just be last 2weeks of aug and first 2 weeks of sept ?

Cheers,
Frank.
We used to take both our kids out of school for up to 5 weeks at a time to travel. Never hurt them & the teachers all said they would learn more on the trip as opposed to being at school (both did well at school, Sean now has BossKraft after a police career & Adamanda is an RN in California, both have Uni degrees, my daughter has multi degrees).

If it coincides with school holidays expect to pay much more. That is why I am choosing that timing & will attempt to avoid school holidays both in Australia & the US.

I will not have firm dates until I see the US Sprintcar schedule, Bonneville schedule & link a few other planned trips. All occur around August/September. We may even be able to do Hot August Nights then a wrecking yard tour of Northern California before heading to Bonneville. Before or after that, try to link up with a World of Outlaws Sprintcar meet.

http://www.hotaugustnights.net/

http://www.scta-bni.org/

http://www.woosprint.com/

The China trip has consumed almost 2 1/2 months of work so far & that was planned around one event. I would not imagine having the US trip locked down before February/March 2012. Even then the airfare & hotel prices can vary before travel if not paid for (both are difficult to lock down until less than 6 months out)

I threw the idea out there to see what interest there was. There seems to be enough to go forward.

As I said, it will run about AU$18 - 20K (off the top of my head) for 2 people sharing a car & room. May be more, may be less. Depends on how many decide to go & what the AU$ does against the Greenback.
Kerry

Frank70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Frank70 »

OK Kerry.

I guess all kids are different - I wouldn't take my son out for that long - maybe a couple of weeks. We are going to Phuket this school holidays and dont mind paying a bit more.

Plus taking him out of school would make it hard to get it past the handbrake.

If I come , it will be on my own unless I wait and go another time with him.

Good that there is heaps of time to decide.

Cheers,
Frank.
1970 Mustang Fastback 302 Toploader
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan 289 C4
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 350 Father/Son project
1995 BMW M3
2002 Ford Falcon XR6