Spraying Underneath of 1969

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Spraying Underneath of 1969

Post by soc123_au »

Well you have it from a gold card judge, my info may well be incorrect on some points. As bosskraft stated there can be exeptions, but I would trust that info more than my own research.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

scott66stang wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Scott, you are not thinking "concourse" now are you? 8O
Haha No , too late for that , just interested because i have seen the red oxide on other concourse mustangs and wondered about it.
The underneath of my car was taken down to metal Kerry , and there was no red at all , only a hard factory looking off black looking colour which showed up like new in the tunnel that was covered in old oil and grit.
Not a 69 , but just for interest this was the colour my San Jose 66 FB was in all its former glory.

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Cracks me up.. seems 'odd' to do a bodgy job in order to be correct... attention to detail blows me away...
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
jademustang
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by jademustang »

Thanks for the info Sean. I have been getting advice on this subject for my 69 San Jose Mach1. Opinions given to me have varied greatly. One things for sure never say "this is the way it was done, no exceptions" As you indicated there were differences between assembly plants, years and the workers themselves.

Going on advice from head judges/gold card judges in America (who also have pictures of low mileage, unrestored cars) the upper shock mounts on a 69-70 San Jose are semi gloss black and both Metuchen and Dearborn cars were phosphate and oil.
They also indicate that the "slop grey" underbody color would have been used on the vast majority of cars.

The underbody color of my February built Mach1 was slop grey from approximately the firewall position to the rear of the car. The slop grey was a grey/blue color. Under the front frame rails etc. from the firewall forward was red oxide very similar to the color on your boss 302. This was applied before the engine bay black.

Just goes to show we need to recognise the variations on the assembly lines.