Edz 66 Convertible

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Edz 66 Convertible

Post by Edz66Vert »

AODE Oil - just checked and Ford say you can use a Dex III (Mercon V) but they now recommend using Mercon V? The only one I've found is Penrite ATF FS Automatic Transmission Fluid full synth $51.99 .

As the transmission is a bit of an unknown as I got it off Nuts 2nd hand, I'm thinking of using the Dex III I have at this stage, then if it's all working fine, drain and replace with the Penrite synth down the track.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I also found Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF which is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid for $40.46 with free delivery. They say 'combines superior base oils and unique seal conditioners, long-life friction modifiers, special anti-wear agents and sheer stable viscosity improvers.' Listed as suitable for 'use where specified: JWS 3309; Dexron IIH and VI; Mercon V.'

4 containers of the Penrite synth is $208 where 4 of the Valvoline Synths is $161.84.

Does anyone have an opinion against using Valvoline? The Castrol oil for the same price as the Penrite is non-synth as far as I can see.

This is some useful information I found on fluids for different Ford transmissions. Looks like the new Mercon V is recommended to replace Mercon in all transmissions.

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I'd flush the system out with DX11 if you already have it. Otherwise run FS straight up. If the trans shifts ok, do a fluid change when you do an engine oil change. Remember, as I said to you, warranty expired when it left my cave. 😆
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I used this in my AOD.
Seems to be doing the job and meets many specifications.

Last edited by hybrid on Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

What did that cost you Hybrid?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

$190 delivered

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nulon-Full- ... 2749.l2649

I have the deep pan, so needed around 14L. It was going to cost pretty much the same to buy 3-4 smaller bottles.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

So I thought I should post some update pics. Spent the last 2 months sorting out wires, working out where they all went and documenting it and removing or tidying what I have.

This is the battery area relays and hidden fuses. This is what it used to look like:

This what I've ended up with, I've labelled the wires at the fuse block so I can sort things out on the road (I also have a wiring diagram). Still have to finish wrapping some of the wiring but I don't want to do that until it's running and I can check I have it wired correctly.

I've refitted most of the exhaust, the tailshaft and extended the gearbox mount 30 mm to fit the AODE (from an AOD). Out of interest, it appears the AODE is a little shorter than an AOD as I can now get the tailshaft in without dropping the diff down. The sheet I have on different Ford autos says the opposite.

I've wired in the ICE ignition system and gearbox control computer.

BTW, I was chatting to one of the guys from my car club on Sunday at the BBQ and he said he's had the ICE distributor cap melt and go out of time. He also knows a guys who drag races and he has to replace the distributor cap each time by the time he gets to Sydney as he has the same problem. He has since swapped to an MSD system but he said he has heard the same story about MSD and he said when he compared his MSD and ICE caps they were identical except for the colour.

Currently fitting 10mm aluminium fuel line down the tunnel to get a nice straight run rather than have all the kinks and bends like the current one down the sills then finish tidying up all the messy dash wiring.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

hybrid wrote:$190 delivered

I have the deep pan, so needed around 14L. It was going to cost pretty much the same to buy 3-4 smaller bottles.
Tah. Repco have it for $192, Supercrap for $179 (special order).

How do you decant it? That's the only problem I see, handling 20 L? 4/5 litre bottles are easy to handle. I do have empty bottles, does it have a tap?
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Edz66Vert wrote:
hybrid wrote:$190 delivered

Sorry, just realised the Nulon you found online is Full-synth. The ones at Repco and Supercrap are semi-synth. So that's a good price.

Just need to find out how you decant it?
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

automotivesuperstore.com.au - This is a good site for free delivery of oil when you can't find it on eBay. Unlike eBay, it lists all the car parts, oils etc and you can look at different oils very quickly, just show specific brands or sizes etc. With eBay you have to know what you are looking for usually.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I used a drum pump that I already had. Someone down there might have one you can borrow?

Edit: just saw your other question. I don't think it came with a tap (not 100% sure though), but it has the standard thread in the bottom (you can see it in the picture) for a tap to screw in.
Last edited by hybrid on Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Thanks Hybrid, I have a couple of old taps from thinners drums that will fit, cheers. Then I can decant it into a 4 litre container.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I am probably not seeing this right Ed, but is the heavy red wire to right a positive? If so it looks scarily close to the body.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

nassi wrote:I am probably not seeing this right Ed, but is the heavy red wire to right a positive? If so it looks scarily close to the body.
Ah Nassi, you have to live on the edge more! 😃 No, just kidding, I just connected the cables for the pic, it's the starter cable (which is not fitted yet as I'm still fitting headers and exhaust) and is hanging down so it's a long way from the metal, just the angle of the shot. It nearly touches my lovely carpet tiles so its a good 100 mm away, I disconnected it straight after the pic.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Can anyone explain what the two random holes are for on the top of the inner guards behind the bonnet hinge?