brawler carbs

Post by 123abc »

has anyone used or owned a brawler carb looking for feedback
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: brawler carbs

Post by 123abc »

took a gamble got a 670 quick fuel brawler carb vac sec elec choke 570 bucks delivered seems good worked well out of box with minimal adjustment see how it goes with a little jet change here and there adjustable vac sec unit might play with that next time or put it on the dyno and tune it
Last edited by 123abc on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Good idea to get it dyno'd or at least run a wideband and check it yourself. My Holley 750 came with #72 jets factory and was running very rich out of the box at 10.5 on the wideband, I've dropped it back to #62 jets to get it to 12.5 under cruise and power. Safer than running lean but running rich washes the oil off the bores which is not good either.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

12.5 is still too rich for a naturally aspirated car. That's what you'd target for boost, definitely not for cruise.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

What is a good afr for cruise Hybrid-NA I mean?
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

On very light throttle/load (cruise) you can go to 15 safely (higher actually). You can pretty much safely go as lean as the engine will allow before it starts hunting, within reason.
On EFI in that situation, you can get AFR into the 15's or higher and give it plenty of timing and it will behave nicely.
The problem is with carb, it's much harder to control fueling and timing over the entire range so you might have to be a bit rich in some areas you normally wouldn't to make sure it's safe under load.
On a carb, I would be at least stoich (14.7) on cruise - otherwise you're just wasting fuel. But if you can do it while keeping load AFRs to 12.5-13, get it into the 15s on cruise.
On N/A engines, really anything under 12.5-13 in most situations is too much fuel. And 12.5-13 in any area other than full load is too much fuel.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Most dynos blokes I've seen tune them for 12's they don't look at cruise they look at load and max power.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

That's because they are harder to tune anywhere else, and power runs are fast and cheap.
Power doesn't change all that much between a fairly wide AFR range anyway. Was a good vid on YouTube showing that on the dyno, maybe by haltech. Can't remember.