NSW MOCA Members, Why is it you don't attend Club Meetings.

Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: NSW MOCA Members, Why is it you don't attend Club Meetings.

Post by muzz67 »

S[_]SPECT wrote:Lance, this may not be entirely relevant coming from WA.. but my guess it the experience is somewhat similar..

Like cage and others, my lack of attendance was mostly about timing and work commitments.. however on top of that was the feeling of being out of place like others have also stated..

Not being a long term member, with irregular attendance, it was very hard to buy into the 'club' experience.. when I never really felt wanted by the club in the first place..
It wasn't until I didn't renew my membership that the club showed any interest in me as a member.. by then it was too late.. as the shite that went down on the club forum around that time had turned me off entirely.

So now I pay more for insurance and with full rego anyway.. I just drive my car where ever, and when ever I want.

To be honest, I've had a better 'club' experience with local members of this forum than I ever did with the club itself.. even if some of those I'm talking about are / were club members.

The monthly Custom Cars and Coffee outing has much more appeal than anything I did with the club.. and that's just a bunch of randoms from facebook and alike.
Thanks Suspect,

I too pay full rego and insurance, sadly in this state because modified cars are not yet eligible for Club rego. I do believe NSW will follow Vic and overcome that, seeing as though genuine resto-mods are fully engineered and much safer than there counterparts in most cases.

Yeah that buying into the 'Club' experience was hard in MOCA. And that wall seems hard to break, mainly I think it is because we do not openly discuss it enough. And some Old boy's ( and girls) (in thought not necessarily age) want to hang onto the 'It's my club why should I share it with you attitude'.

Love the Car's and Coffee approach, just look in Sydney how many have plagiarised Sean and Bernice's idea and started others. (Good on them plagiarism is the greatest form of flattery)

Thanks for the input ;)

"The only thing you own and control each day is your Attitude!"
Muzz67
Experience is a great school, but the fees come high!
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Thanks for taking the time to answer Lance. That pretty much nailed it as far as what I wanted to know. I just hope you can weather the storm that will no doubt come & maintain the rage to see it through. From my interactions with you & Sean you both strike me as fairly driven sort of characters, so I believe you both have the tools to do the job. Ron in the mix should be a good leveler when things get a bit tough.

My membership application will be in the mail today.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I haven't joined any car clubs yet but will be looking to do so once I get my car closer to being on the road. This will mainly be for club rego purposes and not so much for the club culture.

What I would find extremely useful from the club and especially in my case where I have never restored a car before, would be if some of the meetings were ran almost like a mini TAFE course. You could go to a work shop or even maybe a members house and try and fix a couple of issues they are having with there car or help them with part of their resto. Hopefully this would get the "older" knowledgeable members teaching the younger newer members some skills which they will eventually pass on to the next generation of members. The person whose car is getting worked on could supply some food for the help they get with their car. I suppose its kinda like the hookin a brother up idea but maybe a little more structured and only over a few hours. I know its not very realistic to set up in that manner, especially when it has to be done each month but maybe a quarterly meet, even on a weekend, where you have a few trade displays but then also the opportunity to get hands on and try a bit of panel beating or mechanical work or some painting practice, tips and advice. I know the internet answers a lot of peoples questions now but i still like to be face to face and actually see how it is done rather then just have it explained. And I also understand it would be a huge amount of work for the members trying to organise all the people to help out but just thought I would give you a perspective from one person who is new to the car world.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

xpconnor wrote:I haven't joined any car clubs yet but will be looking to do so once I get my car closer to being on the road. This will mainly be for club rego purposes and not so much for the club culture.

What I would find extremely useful from the club and especially in my case where I have never restored a car before, would be if some of the meetings were ran almost like a mini TAFE course. You could go to a work shop or even maybe a members house and try and fix a couple of issues they are having with there car or help them with part of their resto. Hopefully this would get the "older" knowledgeable members teaching the younger newer members some skills which they will eventually pass on to the next generation of members. The person whose car is getting worked on could supply some food for the help they get with their car. I suppose its kinda like the hookin a brother up idea but maybe a little more structured and only over a few hours. I know its not very realistic to set up in that manner, especially when it has to be done each month but maybe a quarterly meet, even on a weekend, where you have a few trade displays but then also the opportunity to get hands on and try a bit of panel beating or mechanical work or some painting practice, tips and advice. I know the internet answers a lot of peoples questions now but i still like to be face to face and actually see how it is done rather then just have it explained. And I also understand it would be a huge amount of work for the members trying to organise all the people to help out but just thought I would give you a perspective from one person who is new to the car world.

Thanks XPConnor,
We have had some discussion around the points you raise, has great Merit and we believe not that difficult to organise using smaller groups.
Cheers Lance
Muzz67
scedd
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by scedd »

This comes back to what Kerry was saying about getting the youngins interested
If all they ever learn is OBD tuners the interest in old cars wont get the spark lit.
remember, none of their mates can help them fix their car either.
The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims".
- If you rip a hole in a net, there are actually fewer holes in it than there were before
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

I've got a feeling I may no longer be a paying member. How would I know? Is it a financial year thing?
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

cage wrote:I've got a feeling I may no longer be a paying member. How would I know? Is it a financial year thing?

Certainly is, due July.
Muzz67
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Better get onto that then. I am hopeless, how do I organise that again?
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

cage wrote:Better get onto that then. I am hopeless, how do I organise that again?

Contact Phil Preston, details in the front of the MOCA Magazine..
Muzz67
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

Thanks to everybody for their constructive input to this thread,

Much appreciated
Cheers
Lance
Muzz67